| When climbing this summer, either solo or in a group, it is important that you and those with you are aware of any bushfire risks that are in the locality you are travelling to or through. Here are a few simple things to be mindful of when preparing to go climbing:
- Check the Fire Danger Rating of the localities you are travelling through or to at cfa.vic.gov.au or call 1800 240 667
- Monitor weather conditions for the area you plan to visit.
- Download the FireReady smartphone app to access fire danger information and receive alerts and warning.
- Check for warnings or alerts in areas you will be camping by visiting emergency.vic.gov.au, calling 1800 240 667 or listening to an emergency services broadcaster on a radio.
- Be prepared to change your plans on hot, dry and windy days.
- Leave your itinerary and mobile phone numbers with someone in case of an emergency.
- If you are camping in a high fire risk location, first check to see if a Total Fire Ban has been declared and take care when using fire to cook or for warmth.
My CFA is your link to bushfire safety information relevant to you and your outdoor activity. By signing up to this service, CFA will keep you up to date with local advice and services to help you plan, prepare and stay safe from fire.